Sunday, April 30, 2006

They drafted who?!?

As I sit in my mother's computer room at her house in Charlotte, I've just finished reading up on this Donte Whitner, a 5'10 safety out of Ohio State that, for some reason, my Buffalo Bills chose with the 8th overall pick of the 2006 NFL Draft.

Now, I have to admit. When Matt Leinart was sitting there for the taking, there was a part of me that was thinking, "End the Losman experiment. Draft Leinart! Draft him!!"

But then, common sense prevailed. Why draft Leinart? You have nobody to protect him. How can he be any more effective than J.P. when he'd only get a fraction of a second to make a decision before getting knocked on his butt?

Next, the thought of trading out of the pick entered my mind. I thought to myself, "Surely, there's a team out there who wants Leinart. Why not trade out of it and get some more picks?" Afterall, the Bills need help in a lot of areas. The more picks, the more chances to fill those needs, right?

But when the commissioner stepped to the podium and announced that the Bills had taken Whitner, I stood there confused. Mad. Disappointed. "Who the hell is Donte Whitner?", I thought.

I knew who he was, but I was not expecting him to be drafted by my team...especially at the #8 spot. Most mock drafts I saw had him going anywhere from 15th all the way to the end of the first round. So why at 8?

Enter twobillsdrive.com.

I went to the site this morning, just hoping to make sense of all the confusing tactics my Bills employed in Day One of the draft. What I found is that the Bills were concerned that the Lions may take Whitner with the #9 pick. If this is truly the case, more power to Marv for pulling the trigger.

Too many times, a team in the draft will pick the "best available" instead of a player they actually need. The Bills need a safety. They liked Whitner. Sure, they probably could've gotten some extra picks to move down and still take him, but they didn't want to take that chance.

Now, maybe I'm drinking the Marv Levy Kool-Aid here. But I'm really kind of on-board with this way of thinking. Of course, I'll reserve complete judgment until I've had a chance to see Whitner play a few games, maybe even years in the NFL.

But the last two times the Bills drafted an Ohio State DB in the draft, Nate Clements and Antoine Winfield turned out to be pretty good players. As I said...I'm giving Marv & company the benefit of the doubt.

5 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Blogger Jaybird said...

TJ: That is some good writing there. I cant spell or write, but I know what good stories sound like. That was a very funny story and I thought the same thing when I saw who the bills got at number eight. I really think CAROLINA did very well in this years draft. They needed good backups and they got them too, and a bonus by getting D.W. in the first. I thought he would go lower than he did. They picked up a okay TE with pretty good upside in King. King needs to put on some pounds and he would be dynamic verstile blocking tightend that could run after the catch is made. He really is still unproven at this point. On the final note the panthers are looking pretty good. They have no holes on thier roster and some new weapons to counter punch any defence that goes up against the them. They also called metlife and got some good insurance in this years draft. Keep up the good blogs man.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Jaybird said...

hey hey hey is is there there anybody there! no more writing TJ

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Jaybird said...

just in case the sight is http://www.nypost.com/sports/64469.htm if you got time TJ check out my blog about raceneck reality. jaybirdstl.blogspot.com

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Jaybird said...

TJ: you want ever see this site again, but I have to let it be known that the espn radio show you left sucks bad. First of all they switch the times around, so those lazy basterds dont want to get up in the mourning. They have their show at at 4pm in the afternoon when everybody is at home with there family's. Bullet bob stinks a big one. He dont know how to use jack crap in his work place. He does not go and meet people like you did. He does not know as much as you or Kolby did, and he is never on the computer. The site sucks and we dont even have salary cap football this year. I hope you r well but the show stinks!!!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Jaybird said...

What up man. I hope everything is going alright up there in your neck of the woods. I have not been on the Espn radio site for awhile and I checked it out today. I just thought it was kind of funny when I went on the site today.I clicked on the message board to see what people are saying about the panthers win this sunday. Then I saw a message from bob, I guess he was saying that the message board was down, because of people (not me) saying that the shows stinks. He wrote :due to people camplaining about the show and not talking sports on this message board it is shut down and that he will bring it back up when people start talking sports again. I just thought it was funning that other people besides my self thinks the show stinks. My point is you never no what you missed untill a good thing leaves. TJ if your ever on the Charlotte observer and have a few extra seconds then check out the forums for the panthers. I write on there from time to time. I have to get sports feedback from somewhere. I wish your show was on air in Wilmington. Anyways have a good one and stay cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home