Thursday, March 16, 2006

Krunch Time at the NCAA Tournament - Day Two

9:33PM -
The luck might've run out for UNCW. GW about to try some BIG free throws with 25.8 left, and UNCW down by one. Here goes nothing...
------------------------------------------------------------------
9:29PM -
Beckham Wyrick with a huge tre. The beautiful thing about this game for UNCW is that different guys have stepped up at different times. It really kind of epitomizes what this team has been about all season.
------------------------------------------------------------------
9:21PM -
And we are headed to OVERTIME. I hate when announcers say it that way. What a damn game. Good God!!
------------------------------------------------------------------
9:17PM -
T.J. CARTER!!! Wow, what a shot! Gotta play some tough defense on this possession. That's what this team is made for though. Here we go...
------------------------------------------------------------------
9:12PM -
Well, Todd just fouled out. Looks like Vlad is going to get a chance to be in there when it really matters.
------------------------------------------------------------------
9:06PM -
You know, there is a reason why this tournament is so popular. It's because of games like this. This one, along with several other going on right now, are close and will likely come down to one possession late in the game. As a team, you just have to make sure you're the one with the ball making the play when that time comes.

UNCW's guys looked a lot better after that TV timeout. While George Washington still leads by two, I think the Seahawks are mentally over the run GW made earlier this half.
------------------------------------------------------------------
8:54PM -
Thank Goodness for the TV timeout. That was UGLY. I guess the press that George Washington was running was REALLY getting to them. Brownell had better get his kids back to playing hoops. They played that last stretch scared, and it's showing by the three point margin that we're looking at right now.

I wonder how big Mitch Laue having four fouls will be? He's been key in UNCW's down low defense thus far. They can't afford to have him out very long.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
8:50PM -
UNCW is getting careless with the ball, and it's allowing GW to get back into the game. They'd better tighten up quickly. This is a bad stretch for them right now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
8:34PM -
I really don't know what to say. UNCW has just come out on FIRE in the second half. No way they continue this hot shooting all game. They just have to make sure they keep GW from getting back into it with tough defense. I'm sure that's what Brownell is preaching in the huddle right now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
8:17PM -
Alright....second half about to start here in Greensboro. There's an already good sized crowd here at the Coliseum, but with the Duke game drawing nearer, I expect to see every seat filled within the next twenty minutes or so. This crowd is already pretty much pro-UNCW, which is helping them. The more things that feel like home, the better.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
7:49PM -
It's been established that UNCW and George Washington belong on the same court together. With 3:58 to go, both teams know they are in for a dog fight. John Goldsberry is putting together one of his better displays of ball distribution. Three assists so far, but he'd have more if they counted assists in basketball the way they do in hockey. Both teams are playing really good ball right now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
7:40PM -
Much better showing later on in this first half. Nerves, I think, have gone away and we're back to just playing basketball. I like how UNCW is handling Mensah-Bonsu down low. Mitch Laue just had a SICK block on him in the paint.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
7:34PM -
VLAD!!! That's all I can say! We all knew going into this game that someone was going to have to step up. Someone different. Enter Vlad. 8 big points early in this one, and he's giving UNCW the presence down low that we were worried they wouldn't have. Nice job so far.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
7:27PM -
Alright....well....that last few minutes weren't so hot. UNCW got caught up in one hell of a screen and were nailed for an open three. Later, Soyebo got a little carried away and tried too hard to get to the bucket, getting called for charging in the process. Brad will tighten'em up though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
7:19PM -
First TV timeout and UNCW seems to be able to play their game so far. The pacing seems to be pretty much on par from what they are used to. And, I think GW is realizing now how tough they are. If you're watching on TV, you just saw Laue tumble over a table onto the floor. I think that perfectly capsulizes how this team plays hoops. Tied up at 7 right now. More to come later on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
7:13PM -
And....we're off. The game is underway and GW scored the first two points on free throws from Pops. Here we go!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
6:47PM -
Well, by now, I'm sure you know how the Tennessee - Winthrop game ended. What a tough break for the Eagles who really, I thought, outplayed the Vols. Bruce Pearl said after the game that he felt his team deserved to win. I'm not so sure.

Anyway, we're about 18 minutes away from tipoff of the game I came here for. UNCW vs. George Washington. Both teams are out on the floor now, warming up. The cheerleaders just got here, the dance team is here, hte band, and the fans are trickling in. It's time for some basketball.....in 18 minutes. I can't wait.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
5:23PM -
What a shot! For UNCW fans, watching that was probably painfully familiar. Looks like Winthrop has a LITTLE bit of time left to try to pull off a miracle. That's what it's going to take. 0.4 seconds doesn't give you time to do much.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
5:16PM -
I hope this is the game they're giving you guys on TV. Wow! 21.5 left. Tie game. #15 seed versus a #2 seed. This is why we love the NCAA Tournament. I'm on the edge of my seat.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
4:48PM -
This has the makings of being one of those tournament games you'll remember for a long time. Winthrop and Tennessee keep trading the lead back and forth. There's about ten minutes left in the half right now, and you can tell the Vol fans are nervous. They weren't expecting to get this much of a fight outta the Eagles. Hopefully the fight continues all the way down to the final buzzer. I'd love for this one to go down to the wire.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
4:21PM -
The second half is just a few moments away and I gotta love the fact that Winthrop has hung with them in this game. This is what March Madness is all about. The little guy, trying to hang with the big guy, and right now, the Eagles are giving the Vols everything they want.

It sounds like the non-Vols fans in the arena have taken to Winthrop. I'd say it's 50/50 at best, maybe even slightly more in Winthrop's favor, as far as crowd support is concerned.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
3:33PM -
Now THIS is a basketball game! Tennessee and Winthrop going at it right now, and these guys are running the floor like there's no tomorrow. Then again, for whoever loses, there isn't. I hope you guys are getting to watch this one on TV.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
3:09PM -
Has a person ever been able to successfully rip their own ears off to prevent them from having to hear a fight song for the three hundredth time? The game hasn't even started yet and I'm already sick of Tennessee Rocky Top. To me, that's a Vols Football song. They shouldn't use it as much for basketball. However, in the time I've been sitting here, literally I've heard it 5 times. And I've been sitting here for 10 minutes.

Tipoff just happened. Go Eagles!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
2:35PM -
The Shockers have shocked the Hall! I know, I told you no more "shock" jokes. I had to fit one more in there, though. This is setting up an interesting possible game on Saturday between Wichita State and Tennessee. That is, of course, assuming the Vols can beat Winthrop. 30 minutes til tipoff of that game!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
2:24PM -
Yeah, this one is over. 73-55 with 3:44 left. I sure as hell hope the Winthrop - Tennessee game is closer than this. I could've done this at home.

Glad to see the seats fill up though. Lots of Tennessee folks are continuing to filter in. I don't know. I still have to pull for my Eagles. One of two schools I got into out of HS. UNCW, of course, was the other one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
2:03PM -
Looks like Wichita State has held off Seton Hall's run for now. They're up 63-46 right now. Kind of a drag that this first game.

Apparently, they have evacuated the arena in San Diego and delayed the start of those games for at least two hours. I guess a bomb sniffing dog caught an odor near a hotdog stand. Scary stuff, considering the FBI warned of hearing word about an attack on a sporting venu. Even scarier because I'm in one right now. I guess that's why the security here is so tight. Thank God for that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1:41PM -
Okay, forget the story I told you about the water. I'm completely confused now. Apparently, the official water of the NCAA is Dasani. Why they're making us poor the bottles into cups, I have no idea. I've given up trying to figure out what the NCAA is thinking.

I'm starting to see a lot of orange fill this place. Tennessee's game is next, and that is a school known for having a good following of people for road games. I would imagine it's going to sound an awful lot like a game in Knoxville once the Vols and Eagles tip off.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1:11PM -
We're at the half, with the Hall taking it on the chin, 40-24 right now to Wichita State. If this game holds up I'm 0 for 1 so far in my pool. I really expected to see more of an effort from this Big East team. They're making the selection committee look silly for picking so many teams from that conference right now. This is just brutal to watch! (Sorry, Pete)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
12:53PM -
Here's a funny note for you. The official water of the NCAA is Auqa Fina. However, there was some Dasani water left around from when the ACC Tournament was her last week. So...some media folks had Dasani water here on press row. A rep from the NCAA just walked around asking anyone with a Dasani water to poor it into a paper cup she was handing out. The funny thing is that someone ultimately had to say, "Hey! That's Dasani water on the table! Someone get the dixie cups!!" Guess the NCAA really DOESN'T have more important stuff to worry about.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
12:48PM -
It's up to a 13 point lead now for the Shockers, and I am SHOCKED! Hah....okay....I'm done with the "shock" jokes. But seriously. I didn't expect the Hall to come out flat like this. The are a Big East team. Wichita State shouldn't be outmuscling them like this. But they are.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
12:31PM -
We're at the under-15 TV timeout, and Seton Hall looks shell shocked. Haha! Get it? Shell Shocked by the Shockers? Okay...I know....lame.

The Seton Hall band, though, is playing during this TO. Maybe there wasn't any music during the last one because it was called earlier than a TO is typically called.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
12:26PM -
With 18:22 left in the first half, we get our first commercial break. No music. No band playing. No nothing. Kinda lame. I hope that isn't the case in the future. You never really realize how important music in an arena is until you don't get any.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
12:16PM -
Game is just about to start. Half full seats adorn the Greensboro Coliseum. Too bad for UNCW fans that they're not playing in this session. It'd been REALLY easy to get tickets.

I got a couple of really good pictures. A few of the Seton Hall Cheerleaders, as well as the "Sponge Bob" mascot of Wichita State. Go take a look!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
11:58AM -
Okay, getting a little nervous here. Some guy has a camera here in the media room and he just randomly came up and started filming me. I hope I didn't pick my nose or anything.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
11:47AM -
Alright, baby. Only a half an hour until game time. The NCAA Tournament is about to get underway and I cannot WAIT!

I think what I'm going to do with the laptop is hold off during the first half. If I see a place to go down and sit at a table during the second half, I'll bring the laptop out there. So...don't expect any blogs from me during the first half of the first game today. But hopefully for the second half, I'll be able to get my laptop out there.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
10:56AM -
Well, well, well. The big guns have finally begun to show up here in Greensboro. Just as I'm sitting here typing this, I'm watching ESPN's Andy Katz just to my left, setting up his laptop. If he doesn't look too busy, I may go bother him for an interview to throw up on the web. He sure does look busy though.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
10:03AM -
I'm all set up here at the Greensboro Coliseum. I went downstairs and had breakfast at that Joseph's place that brought me back to my childhood. That was the restaurant I HATED as a kid, when I stayed in Greensboro with my dad and grandfather here for a bowling tournament. It became a running joke in my family for years. "Watch it, or I'll make you go eat at Joseph's!" I've obviously matured in my taste of restaurants and though the breakfast was wonderful.

I am among the early birds here at the Coliseum. I figured with the way the spots in the media room filled up yesterday, I'd better get here early to make sure I had a spot. I have all my stuff set up and am ready to go.

The big difference between my CAA coverage and the coverage of this day's games will be my ability to blog and upload pictures in-game. Unless I can finagle my way into a seat on press row that's at a table, I'll have to limit my blogging to halftime and in between games.

For us low guys on the totem pole, they sit us in the first row of actual seats and call it the "Media Overflow" area. In most cases though, everyone that has a seat at a table will not show up, so I'll hopefully be able to squeeze in there. Stay tuned on that front.

I did spots on our two local morning shows this morning. First was with Stan and Belinda on B99.9FM. Then, I did a spot with Foz and Nikki on Z107.5. I would imagine that I'll be making an appearance on Rock 104.5 and Surf 98.3 today as well, in addition to ESPN Radio AM630.

Speaking of ESPN Radio AM630, it's time for Krunch Time to start. I think I may go call Kolby and give him the low down on what I saw and experienced yesterday. I hope you can tune in.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
7:21AM -
GameDay has finally arrived. Today is the day that UNCW basketball has waited all season for. The NCAA Tournament. The national stage. A chance to end someone's season while extending your own in the most important tournament a college basketball player can participate in. GameDay is here!

Before I go on, let me say this. If any of you ever come to the Greensboro area for any reason and need a hotel to stay in, do yourself a favor. Stay in the Sheraton - Four Seasons. No, not because of the amenities. Not because of the curtious staff. Not because of the location. No, not for any of those reasons. Stay here because the beds are among the most comfortable I've ever slept in. Wow!! I didn't want to get out of bed this morning. So soft. Down comforter, down filled pillows. Soft mattress that just forms around you. I want to take this bed home with me!

Okay, moving on.

Folks, I have to be honest. I know I'm here to cover UNCW's game against George Washington. But I am finding myself REALLY looking forward to being able to see Duke play tomorrow. It's been a long time since I've been able to watch a Duke team in person. For that reason, tonight after UNCW's game against GW, I am anxiously awaiting the Duke - Southern game. Did I say "game"? My bad. I mean the Duke offensive exhibition. I say the Blue Devils win by 40. Sorry Southern.

Back to UNCW. The kids really seemed to be in the right mindset yesterday. Nobody seemed to be overly impressed with being here. They all looked very business-like. The practice session was treated as an actual practice, which is rare. Most times, like I said yesterday, the public practice session is nothing more than a glorified shootaround. Not for UNCW, though. They were actually working them fairly hard yesterday in the arena.

If you're in Wilmington and are looking for a place to watch tonight's game, try Fox and Hound. Kolby will be there, plus the Cape Fear Chapter of the UNCW Alumni Association is going to meet there, so there will be plenty of teal in that place.

If you're going to be at home watching on your own TV, check the blog every so often for my thoughts. I'll have the laptop out with me courtside, updating as the game goes along.

I'm hungry. Time to go find some breakfast. I'll catch up with you guys later on.

6 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger Jaybird said...

Whats up TJ me again, this is my work pretty much. Talking sports and looking up stats all day, I just get paid in a seperate way and I am not on the air. I am glad you guys are here or I would be board out of my mind thats why I am the first to respond most of the time. I just love talking sports and you guys do a pretty good job I my add.You have the same concepts as Mike and Mike. You being the smart geek (I assume)and kolby being the dumb jock, witch I have met him and seen that, he is a very cool guy I might add, both of you. I listen to all the sports shows all day long in my office and I cant wait to hear Krunch Time everyday. I like it better than Dan or Mike and mike. Anyways just thought I would say whats up and go Hawks.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger T.J. Cutini said...

Haha, thanks for the kind words, Jaybird. Today should be a heck of a lot of fun. I get to watch four NCAA Tournament games in person...

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Jaybird said...

TJ
I heard your question to JJ redick when your where on the air today, and it was a great question and he really said what was on his mind too. I cant believe the (hall) to big east is losing to watcha ma callit state. I got Hall beaten them in my pool.Dam!

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Jaybird said...

BC does noy look that good so far, and whats up with the sooners.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Jaybird said...

The sooners and the Hall must of had some bad food last night, because they were upset today. lol

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Jaybird said...

I am wacthing the wintrop game and they came to play. Those big man can sure hit the three. Those big men though need to go more inside. They are not going to the rim enough. good game though

 

Post a Comment

<< Home