Monday, March 06, 2006

Krunch Time at the CAA Tournament - Championship Monday

10:37PM -
Wow...words can't describe how much fun it is to cover a team that wins a championship. UNCW validated themselves as one of the nation's up and coming mid-major programs. I hope the NCAA folks do them a good deed when it comes to deciding who they play and where they play in the upcoming tournament.

Check am630.net for full coverage. I have photos plus all the postgame audio. I interviewed just about every member of the team, plus coaches and more. Be sure to check it out!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
8:56PM -
Two HUGE shots by T.J. Carter!! He just won MVP honors on my ballot. Wow. A 7 point game now with under a minute to play. Looks like they MAY have this one wrapped up.

This will likely be my last post for a while. I'm going to be busy after this thing is over, getting interviews and what not. Look for more later on tonight.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
8:50PM -
Okay, let's discuss. Hofstra has turned this into an actual contest. It's a five point lead right now. Two things have happened. One. UNCW has gone ICE COLD from the field. Two. Hofstra, I think, even if they lose, is in the NCAA Tournament. UNCW though? I don't know. Giving up a 20+ point lead on national television doesn't do you any favors.

They just announced the attendance for tonight. 4580 is the number. If there was a Virginia school in this thing, it'd be at least double. They drew over 10,000 last season for ODU vs. VCU.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
8:48PM -
Down to a 3 point lead? I repeat. They need a time out!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
8:45PM -
Yeah...this one is FAR from over. They better start working the ball inside and keeping Hofstra from shooting those three's. They need a time out or something.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
8:39PM -
I don't know, folks. It's down to a 13 point lead right now and it looks like Hofstra has answered the Seahawks' inside game. UNCW is going to have to figure out a way to score here, quickly. As the great Wayne Jackson, former UNCW color analyst, would say, "Hold onto your hats, folks!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
8:29PM -
Awesome moment here during a TV timeout. Sammy C. Hawk, the UNCW mascot, just came out dancing to "Bye-Bye". The mascot hasn't done that routine since Blizzard's senior year....the last time UNCW went dancing. Good times...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
8:21PM -
I am shocked that Hofstra hasn't put up more of a fight tonight. Shocked. UNCW is making this look easier than it should be. For a team that wants an at-large bid, Hofstra isn't doing themselves any favors by missing all these shots. A 22 point lead with 14:40 left is almost a sure win for UNCW, the way they play defense. I honestly cannot see them giving up a lead this big.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
8:15PM -
I'm afraid I just got news that's going to put a damper on what's turning into be an exciting night. Hall of famer Kirby Puckett has passed away. He was one of my all time favorites. The guy hit .300 every year when hardly anyone else was doing it. He was all heart, and his career and life ended too early. A sad day for baseball.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
8:05PM -
Two really cool moments while back in the media work area at halftime. First, was when I was standing in line to use the bathroom. Brad Nessler walked by and said, "T.J.!! UNC-Wilmington is looking good!". Other media members looked at me like, "How do you know him?!?" Pretty neat.

Secondly was a conversation I was having with Pat Forde of espn.com. I mentioned earlier today about the nice article he wrote about the CAA. I complimented him on it and we talked a bit about UNCW's chances in the tournament. He seems to think they're in, regardless. He also said how great it would be if they could be seeded in Greensboro, so a lot of the hometown fans could drive over and see'em.

Can't worry about that now, though. They still have another half of basketball to play. Up twelve. Twenty minutes to a championship. Let's see if the Seahawks can bring it home.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
7:56PM -
I told you. At the half, it's a 12 point game. And Hofstra played much better in that last 3 minute stretch. Expect this one to get even closer in the second half. Time for a bathroom break.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
7:43PM -
Well, Hofstra has trimmed the lead by one point since the last TV timeout. Like I said, I just don't think this is going to be the way the entire game goes. Hofstra WILL make it interesting, at least. There's 3:33 left this half. If Hofstra outscores them from now until the end of the half, this will turn into a better ballgame.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
7:32PM -
I can't help but to think that Hofstra has a good run in them here tonight. They're down 19 right now, but by no means is out of it. This is a good basketball team. Their RPI dictates it. This may wind up being a 19 point victory for UNCW, but not until Hofstra puts up a fight. The run is coming. They're too good to go down this easily.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
7:20PM -
Wow!! 22-5 right now at another TV timeout. Looks like the nerves went away for UNCW, but not for Hofstra.

A friend of mine IM'ed me to tell me that Nessler is referring to them as UNCW. Glad he listened to me! :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
7:08PM -
First TV timeout right now, Hawks lead 8-2. I think both teams look a little nervous to start out. T.J. Carter has missed his first couple of shots. He'll have to snap out of it if UNCW wants to win this. Carter has GOT to give them 10-15 points tonight.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6:54PM -
What a great way to do the National Anthem! They had a Williamsburg Colonial flute playing group play the Star Spangled Banner on flutes. I took a couple of pictures. You can check them out in the photo section.

Three minutes until the starters are introduced. It won't be long now...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6:47PM -
Just a few minutes until gametime. Both student sections have kind of calmed down into a nervous lull. I think with tipoff so close, it's becoming more and more apparent that someone's NCAA tournament hopes might be crushed tonight.

Quick side bar. Hofstra's dance team? Not bad! I didn't really notice it yesterday, but I walked right past them as they were warming up and I gotta say, I was impressed. Photos to follow...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6:08PM -
I arrived at the Richmond Coliseum at around 5 this evening. Pasta and salad was on the menu for the media food. I've already eaten and have taken my spot along press row. Both teams are out on the floor right now engaging in a little warmups.

Hofstra's student section is to my right. UNCW to my left. The same place they were last night.

As game time draws nearer, a feeling of doubt continues to creep into my mind, regarding UNCW's possibility as an at-large team if they lose this. I'm thinking more and more that this game is a must win, if they want to go dancing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2:56PM -
I just enjoyed a wonderful lunch. I won't say where because the place I went is a direct competitor with one of our sponsors for this whole trip. All I'll say is that the quesadilla really hit the spot.

One of the sports radio stations here in Richmond is running an ad for a website called momsmeetdadscom. That just has infidelity written ALL OVER it! It's designed for single moms and single dads to meet, but come on! Who are you kidding?

I've always thought of myself as someone who wasn't a huge Jim Rome fan. In fact, I've been known to bash him on occasion. However, this trip to Richmond has really kind of changed me. That same sports station I spoke of earlier carries Rome in the midday and I'm kind of changing my tune on him.

On Thursday when I drove into town, he spent about two hours talking about the autistic kid that scored 20 something points in a HS hoops game. He took calls from parents of autistic kids. He interviewed the kid's mother, the kid's coach. It was really a great show.

Today, he's spending a lot of time discussing the Army's newly opened criminal investigation into the death of Pat Tillman. These are, while still sports topics, topics most sports talk show hosts would avoid. But Rome is talking about it. And doing a fantastic job in the process. He's sold me on his show. I, now, am a fan.

Is it gametime yet?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1:05PM -
The show just got wrapped up and I have to be happy about it. Brad Nessler, Scott Hamilton, Mike Vaccaro to name a few, plus Mark Scalf. That's a packed show, right there.

From here, I'll pack up my stuff, get in the car, and find some place to grab some lunch. Then, probably back to the hotel, play a little XBox, and wait until about 5pm or so to head on back for the game. Talk to you guys later.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
12:03PM -
That...was...awesome!! We just interviewed our interview with ESPN's Brad Nessler, and wow, was that fun! What a great guy, and he didn't pull any "big-time" stuff on me, like others have done before. Kolby couldn't believe I told him to stay away from calling them NC-Wilmington or North Carolina-Wilmington. I say, why not? If I didn't tell him, who would've? At least he'll get it right tonight on TV.

I've posted a picture of Brad Nessler sitting with me. You can see that in the photo section.

UNCW has wrapped up their shoot around. Hofstra is up next. I hope I don't get kicked out of the building.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
11:22AM -
UNCW is having their shoot around right now. To me, they don't look any different than they do in a normal practice. They look focused. They look determined. They look ready to play.

I have just posted a few photos from the shoot around, so feel free to check the photo section for those. I'm going to go over and try to get Brad Nessler on the show coming up later this hour, so be listening for that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
10:05AM -
Well, we're all situated here at the Richmond Coliseum. Should be one heck of a show. Keep it tuned to ESPN Radio AM630 from 10am to 1pm for all of it!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
7:08AM -Well, today is the day we've been waiting for. Will UNCW win tonight's CAA Tournament Championship to earn the automatic birth into the NCAA Tournament, or will they lose and have Seahawk fans everywhere pulling their hair out until Selection Sunday? We'll find out in roughly 14 hours.

I believe I mentioned that Pat Forde, a college basketball writer for espn.com, was here in Richmond for the tournament. He wrote an excellent article about John Goldsberry, Loren Stokes, and the CAA in general. You can find that article here.

Speaking of Stokes, the controversy that ended yesterday's Hofstra - GMU game was all sorted out by one of our own. WECT's cameras caught exactly what happened between he and George Mason guard Tony Skinn. To see that video, click here, then click where it says "Controversy at the CAA Tournament". Nice job, Ryan!

I'm especially excited about today's edition of Krunch Time. As I mentioned yesterday, I spoke with ESPN & ABC play by play man Brad Nessler, and he agreed to stop by live today to talk about tonight's game. Jimmy Dykes, who is doing the game with Nessler, will be there today too. I may try to get him on as well.

What a close call for bubble teams last night. Did you see San Diego take Gonzaga to overtime? If the Zags lost last night, that would've snapped an at-large bid right away from a conference like the CAA or the Missouri Valley. All of a sudden, Gonzaga has a lot more fans as they play in the WCC Finals tonight.

I think I may go back to the free continental breakfast this morning at the hotel. Then, it's over to the Sheraton to pick up Mike Vacarro, and the equipment, then over to the Coliseum. Be sure to listen to Krunch Time from 10am to 1pm today. Should be a fun show!

8 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have SEAHAWK FEVER! I tried to get the day off so I could ride the $50.00 a seat bus up to see the game, but my boss wouldn't have it. Notice too short. So, i'm wearing my UNCW t-shirt to show my support!! Great job with the blogs and interviews! You must be having a blast! Can't wait to hear the show this morning! GO SEAHAWKS!!!!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Jaybird said...

I cant wait for the show today, if all those guests are going to be speaken about the CAA tourney. I want to ask them why in the hell is Hofstra getting all this dang hype for, last time I check they split and UNCW got first in the CAA. ,I guess UNCW is going to have to prove thier self tonight on ESPN. ITs makes me mad when I see the rpi and Hofstra for some reason has a better RPI than UNCW. What in the heck do the Hawks have to do to get some love. They got snubbed last year in the NIT, when they picked the NY market team(hogstraw). I hope UNCW blows them out of the water, so they finally can get some love. Hofstra who are you!

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gotta fix that link to the article. It starts: http://http//sports.espn.go.com/

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger T.J. Cutini said...

The link is fixed. Show's about to start. Hope you guys enjoy it!

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a great interview with Brad Nessler! And good for you TJ on informing Nessler on the proper way to refer to UNCW!! They won't know unless someone tells them! I am getting more and more excited about the SEAHAWKS! Yell loud for all of us that can't be there!!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Jaybird said...

Man oh man, the hawks are kicking butt. They play like that in the tourney, there going upset some teams.Hofstra can take this butt whoppin and rewind it back!!

 
At 6:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TJ, I can't express how much I have enjoyed your coverage of the CAA Tourney! It was a great source of information while waiting for the game to start. I checked out your views throughout the game and it made the experience better! The only way it could have been better is if you had given play by play either on the radio or on TV! Thank you for all you hard work! Thank you for bringing the tourney to life outside of the TV realm!!! Great job, TJ!!!!

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Jaybird said...

true, great job, and kodoos to TJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home