Sunday, March 12, 2006

Get ready, Greensboro! Teal Nation is coming!

I'll tell you what. Did the Selection Committee do us a good deed or what? And no, I'm not referring to UNCW as we, I'm talking we, the people who cover them. We, as in the media. Let me explain.

To cover the Seahawks in their run in the NCAA Tournament, I estimated the total cost to be around $2000.00 as a worst case scenario. Now, as is the case with most companies, I would've had to front the cash for this trip and be reimbursed for it later on down the road. One of the larger portions of the cost would've been plane tickets. Now, with Greensboro as the destination, no plane ticket is necessary. Thank you, NCAA Tournament Selection Committee!

Seriously though, how great is it that the Seahawks will be playing only four hours down I-40? Not only will they not have to travel that far from home, but plenty of folks from home can travel with them.

The school's ticket allotment will be all gulped up within the next 24 hours, which means there will be tons of UNCW folks outside of the Greensboro Coliseum looking to buy off of scalpers. Good luck. With Duke likely playing in the same session as the Seahawks, I can't imagine what those prices are going to look like.

Speaking of Duke, I know I may be getting ahead of myself, but how freaking cool would it be if we got UNCW vs. Duke in the second round? I mean, can you think of a more anticipated game in school history? I certainly cannot.

I haven't even really had time to check out the rest of the bracket. I know that George Mason got in and Hofstra did not. That, to me, is a damn shame. Hofstra beats Mason twice in the last two weeks, yet is snubbed in favor of a team with a slightly better RPI and a slightly tougher strength of schedule. I know what the numbers say, but I mean, come on! The Pride knocked the Patriots out of the CAA Tournament. They beat them to end the season and knock them out of the Top-25, yet it's NIT city for'em. Some things just are not fair.

Make sure you tune into Krunch Time on Monday. We'll be doing "Wilmington's Bracket" yet again. For those who weren't listening last year at this time, we had you, the listener, pick game by game in the tournament, coming up with Wilmington's Bracket. And for the record? You guys sucked it up pretty bad last year, too! I expect better things this year.

6 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger Jaybird said...

Uncw plays duke if they win. That sucks, but atleast were in the state of NC.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Jaybird said...

I am mad because if not for duke blue devils, I think the hawks could have done some damage in the tourney if they did not play a #1 seed team in the first part of the rounds. I still think they can beat GW. Mark my words says the bird!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Jaybird said...

anybody there

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger T.J. Cutini said...

Hah, I'm reading what you're writing. I'm hoping for the Duke-UNCW matchup. It would be HUGE for the program...

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Jaybird said...

thanks TJ, I always admire your hard work and knowlege of the game along with, writing, and responding to your blogs ; your right too, its big for the program. I just think UNCW can knock off some good teams in the dance. I evan think on the right day they could beat #1 seed with uncle mo on thier side. I think if they were a 11 seed then they could beat who every is in that #6 seed, and then with uncle mo again beat the 4 seed. Thats a big jump from 1 to 4 seeds. I am filling out my bracket for espn am630 and hope surf 107 fans will lose. I should give you guys a few points for sure.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Jaybird said...

GregZ you got tickets, thats pretty dang good. I was too late and too broke. Anyways enjoy your self at the game.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home