Saturday, February 18, 2006

Remember when it was fun?

Remember when? Can you remember back when the NBA Slam Dunk Contest was actually fun to watch?

Guys like Michael Jordan, Dominique Wilkins, Shawn Kemp (pre-beer belly), and Spud Webb were showing off for us and wowing the crowd. Marquee players in the league at the time, still they entered their names into the contest, hoping to impress their peers, their fans, and anyone else looking on.

You don't even have to go back into the 80's and 90's to find a time when the dunk contest was worth watching. Remember the year Vince Carter won it? How about Kobe Bryant?

Enter 2006. Welcome to the Slam Dunk Contest, Mr. Josh Smith, Mr. Hakim Warrick, Mr. Andre Iguodala, and Mr. Nate Robinson.

Who?!?!

Yes, these four men (kids) will be center stage tonight during the NBA's "Rising Stars" Slam Dunk Contest. They had to rename it "Rising Stars" because the vets stopped coming. It's going to be a showcase of skill, of athleticism, and of a bunch of guys who the average fan could care less about.

There is one sure fire way to bring interest back to this All-Star Weekend competition (if you can even call it that anymore). Up the ante. Pay out big bucks for the winner. You give the winner of the Dunk Contest a million bucks and I guarantee you we'll actually know who is in it every year. Put a million dollar payout in the mix and guys like Carter, Bryant, LeBron James, and Richard Jefferson will make their return to this mockery of a contest.

So...the Daytona 500 is tomorrow, huh?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Sorry. I just can't get into cars turning left for four hours. NASCAR bores the ever living you know what out of me. Wake me up when someone picks a fight in the garage after the race, ok?

2 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Blogger Jaybird said...

great idea with the dollar amount. The allstar weekend was not that bad. I watched a little of the race aswell. Maybe next year we will have lebron dunking for dunk title.anyways i posted a pic of me at last years darlington race. I called in last week and said i would rather go to a race than watch one.Just click on jay then grumbles from the bird. honestly, this blog thing is new to me and really just want somebody to look at my site, i spent a little time trying to figure all this stuff out. I really enjoy it though:thanks

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Jaybird said...

TJ I just heard you on the radio, tell Kolby to get his dam blog started. I already have my site up with 5 or 6 blogs and I can't spell a lick. If I can do it, Kolby should have at least two or three started already.:thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home