Thursday, February 16, 2006

It's beginning to look a lot like March

Okay, so as I type this, the date is February 16. Still 13 days until March, but I'm telling you, if the level of play in college hoops is any indication, March Madness is already here.

Sitting courtside at Trask Coliseum last night, I watched a fierce game between two of the CAA's best teams as UNCW successfully defended their home floor and beat Hofstra. The game looked and felt like a CAA Tournament game. I thought so. Hofstra coach Tom Pecora said after the game that he thought so, as did UNCW coach Brad Brownell.


You see, both teams, entering the game, were being talked about as possible "bubble" teams. The CAA is enjoying it's best season in a long time, with a conference RPI of 10. There is an extremely realistic chance that the league will send more than one team to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1986.
A loss for either team last night would likely end any hope of earning an at-large bid into the Big Dance. So in a way, it was an elimination game.

And it sure did feel like it.
John Goldsberry hit the deck so many times I can't count. One guy on Hofstra had to come off the floor and get five stitches above his eye. Temi Soyebo knocked knees with a guy and was hobbling around afterwards. There was just a lot of intensity and a lot of bodies falling on the floor.

But UNCW isn't the only place that had some exciting hoops going on. The Tar Heels came back from a 20-point deficit to beat Georgia Tech. Tyler Hansbrough broke a freshman record in the process with 40 points. I am having so much fun watching this young Carolina team play. One of Roy Williams' best coaching jobs? I think so.

It was good to see a few old faces in the media room last night. Brian Hendrickson, who used to be the beat writer for UNCW, among other things at the Wilmington Star-News, was there. He's now covering the Portland Trail (Jail) Blazers for a newspaper in Vancouver, Washington. I'm so happy for Brian, although I don't envy the fact that he
has to watch the Blazers night in and night out. That team is brutal! (Although they did beat the Bobcats the other night)

I also saw former WWAY sports gal Dawn Davenport. She's working up in Richmond, VA now a days and doing well for herself. It's always good to see media members from this town move on and do well in larger markets.

I guess Sammy Sosa is done now. I hate to say it, but who really cares? Ever since the corked bat, I haven't thought the same of Swingin' Sammy. I mean, come on! The guy said it was the first time he'd ever used a corked bat in a game, but in the same breath, said it was an accident, and that he didn't know he picked it up. If it was an
accident, how do you know it was the first time? If it's that easy to accidentally pick up a corked bat and take it to the plate, chances are you've done it plenty of times before. Don't insult our intelligence, Sammy.

Well...time to go do some show prep. Talk to you guys later on.

5 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Blogger Jaybird said...

nice blog TJ, love the info. I did not see the game last night, but wanted to. At least you have your blogs rollen. Kolby has not posted jack! anyways just saying I love this new blog stuff and wish to hear more inside info from TJ's take.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger T.J. Cutini said...

Hey Jay,

Thanks for the good word. I'll keep writin'em if you keep readin'em.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Jaybird said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Jaybird said...

I try to check your blogs everyday and listen when I can. I hear Stevie Ray right now. I like to talk on the radio about sports, but get too nervous, so I like these new blogs that you guys or you all have started. I dont see to many people responding that much. Kolby cant evan get started.(lol) Check my fish on The Grumbles From The Bird blog. thanks

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger T.J. Cutini said...

Greg,

Thanks for checking it out. Regular basis? No, I don't talk to Brian that often. But he learned of the Telfair incident the night I saw him at Trask. He just kind of rolled his eyes, almost as if to say that he could see something like that coming.

If I think about it, I'll shoot him an e-mail to see if I can get a better feel for his take on the situation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home